The Cornish Pasty
Image by courtesy of Pasty Central
www.pasty.com & www.pasty.net
This is an online pasty-by-mail order concern in Kearsarge, near Calumet, in the Upper Peninsula area of Michigan, USA, delivered by UPS and FedEx .....
The area has a long history of mining
The pasty recipe is a trade secret but they contain beef, pork, potatoes, rutabaga, carrots, onions and spices,
Photo by courtesy of Pasty Central
The web site has a page of Frequently Asked Questions about themselves and their pasties HERE
Poster by courtesy of Pasty Central
The pasty is a real cultural icon in this area, to the extent that they have an annual PASTYFEST - this includes a competition in which entrants must have three pasties ready for judging!!!
Wikipedia - Cornish pasty tells us .....
The pasty is widespread in the USA, it is found in .....
- Tempe, Arizona at the Cornish Pasty Co;
- Nevada County, California;
- Butte, Montana and Anaconda, Montana;
- The slate belt mining region of eastern Pennsylvania, including the towns of Bangor, East Bangor, Pen Argyl and Wind Gap where many churches to this day hold "pastie suppers" or sell the items as a means of making money for their parishes.
- parts of Wisconsin, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and the Iron Range of northern Minnesota. In some of these areas, pasties are now a major tourist draw, including an annual Pasty Fest in early July in Calumet, Michigan. Pasties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan have a particularly unusual history, as a small influx of Finnish immigrants followed the Cornish miners, in 1864. These Finns (and many other ethnic groups) adopted the pasty for use in the Copper Country copper mines. About 30 years later, a much larger flood of Finnish immigrants found their countrymen baking pasties, and assumed that it was a Finnish invention. As a result, the pasty has become strongly associated with Finnish culture in this area.
There is also a web blog about pasties in San Francisco, on the west coast - HERE
© 2004 - 2007, Cornish Pasty Co. • 960 W University • Suite 103 • Tempe, Arizona • 480-894-6261
Cornish Pasty Co at Tempe, Arizona, has a TREMENDOUS range of different types of pasty on their "Menu" link - check it out !!!